My mom and I just got done watching a movie called, 'Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont'... The movie is based on the book by Elizabeth Taylor. (Not the actress that you might be thinking of, but by an English author)
I haven't had time to go to the library to rent the book, but in the next few months I'm going to do that and I'll write a review on the book.
I saw this movie once before, quite a few years ago, and although I didn't remember the details of the movie, I remembered that it was a film that I enjoyed thoroughly. Watching it a second time, I can tell you that I feel exactly the same. This movie is an emotional imprint on my mind, my heart and my soul.
Every single character is written with love. The story is written with compassion and love behind it.
The acting is phenomenal and the chemistry between Joan Plowright and Rupert Friend is substantially one of the best relationships I've ever seen in a movie.
In the plot the main character Mrs. Palfrey has a very strained and distant relationship with her daughter who lives in Scotland and her grandson who lives in London.
It never goes into great detail. Why there is an emotional distance between her and her daughter and her and her grandson.. perhaps the book will shed some more light onto the story.
I'm emotional because it's a tearjerker. The movie is one about life and death. But it's about so much more than that.
Ultimately it's about that special type of relationship and person that we can all be So lucky to find one day, even if they're in our lives for a few days or a few weeks.
I would have to say this is probably one of my top 100 movies.
Rupert Friend is so beautiful physically in this movie, but his acting is so natural and calming. Every scene with him and Joan takes you out of everyday life and puts you back in London in 2005.
And although this movie takes place in 2005, it does not feel dated at all. There are small little reminders that the film is a pre-smartphone film. UCS cell phone circa 2004 or 2005... You don't see any type of smartphone or tablet.
But other than these few tiny instances the film could easily take place in 2010 2020 or 2050.
It's a timeless movie, because it's about humans and the love and compassion that we can have for one another.
I don't want to give too much of the plot away, but I'm just so grateful that I got to see this film and also share it with my mom.
If anybody ever comes across this blog post, I encourage you to find this movie online or search for the DVD.
Apologies if my writing is incoherent I probably should have waited several days to write about this movie but it's on my mind right now and I just have to tell you how much I love it...
I think if you watch this movie you'll enjoy it too.
I may write more about this film in a future blog post and I will definitely be writing about the book once I have read it.


No comments:
Post a Comment