Sunday, May 19, 2024

Bhudda Day

 Letter from Jonathan:


Today is Bhudda's birthday. Our Bhuddism group got together and had a wonderful gathering! Our chaplain was there, and Tonya (who hosts our Non Violent Communication class, and used to host our Bhuddism group) was our stand-in volunteer today because our current volunteer who hosts currently couldn't make it. Tonya spoke on Karma, and how there is a lot of people who view Karma as a punishment/reward system. But that is not what Karma is. Karma is what we build when we practice meditation, because meditation is the practice of allowing one's self to command their attention on a given thing for as long as they so choose. Once this is possible for a person to command their attention intentionally, then it is possible to shape one's Karma. To direct our path. To choose what grows in our garden. This is true Karma. After Tonya shared this with us, the chaplain (Askren is his name) took the mic and asked us to close our eyes and imagine a time when we had eaten so much that we were so full that we couldn't even get up. Then he said, "May you always have abundance of bounty and access in plenty." He then asked us to think of a time when we had eaten just enough, could've eaten more but we stopped. (He said something else that I cannot recall now.) Then he asked us to think of a time when we were hungry with that pit in our stomach, not knowing when our next meal might be. Then he said, "May you never go without or experience lack." After this he went table to table and ushered us each to go collect two plates of food. Rice, mixed veggies, tofu stir fry, chili sauce, collard greens, and a big chicken leg. We also received punch to drink, and an ice cream cup. After serving seconds, they realized they had forgotten about the giant trays of strawberries. We also received a second ice cream cup. We ate until we could eat no more, and some were even allowed to go Styrofoams to take back to the units. We had a 15 minute meditation. Everyone helped clean up, and it was a wonderful time. Thank you for your lovely message of encouragement! I think I will do both. I will focus on myself, and maybe not cling, but I will move forward in the growth of my important relationships. :) I did some more painting today, 3 hours worth, on a mural for the unit's barber shop space. It has been very nice to paint and have this creative outlet. It is so crucial to have creative outlets to grow in and process mental capacity through. It is very good for me, and I am so grateful. Tonight I am extra tired, so I am going to sleep soon. It is 10:02pm. Good night my wonderful friend! Thank you for sharing with me the importance of how I have helped you and been a support. This is so very helpful to be reminded of good things occurring through positive affirmations that I have participated in. You are doing the same for me, and I want you to know that our friendship is so very special and important to me. Thank you. All the love, with all my heart, Jonathan

No comments:

Post a Comment